General Information Page
Taken from Old Pewter and Its Marks
DAC(K)OMBE, AQUILA, London: 17 June 1742, Y.; 28 Nov. 1746, L. Touch, 913 L.T.P., struck c.1744. He was struck out of the Company in 1773 and his fine returned. Was given leave to strike his Touch on 20 Dec. 1744. He was Gazetted as insolvent on 21 March 1761.
DAC(K)OMBE, AQUILA, London 20 Oct. 1768, Y.; 17 Dec. 1801, L,; 1804 f.S.; 1810, f.R.W.; 1817. f.U.W.; 1818. 1819 died.
I am a one name society for the name Dackombe (Member 1930) and as such I have recorded all the births, deaths and marriages at St Catherines House, have recorded all the known wills of the Dackombe family, have researched the census in many areas where the Dackombe's lived. Have been through all the telephone directories of the British Isles and written to everyone I have found with this name. I have also obtained a lot of information regarding this family. An Aquilla Dackombe was appointed Master of the Worshipful Company of Pewterers on the 20th August 1818, and I have a lot more information about this Worshipful Company.
A list of names drawn from a CD at the IGI has also been reproduced.
There are many variants of the name, i.e. Dacombe being the most common. This family has always been centered in Dorset, England where there is still the biggest number of names. The family of Dackombe also came from this area and we are certain that they are all connected, however at the present time although I have recorded all the names I have not researched this variant thoroughly. Therefore if anyone has information regarding this variant of the name Dackombe I would be very pleased to here from you. A fairly complete list of Dacombe births, deaths and marriages are however recorded on these Web pages.
Below is a brief synopsis of the name Dackombe and how through my wife I am connected with this family. I have over two thousand Dackombe names recorded and related in some way to my wife.
- We start from Sir John Dackombe, born 1570, died 1618, who married Lady Melior, born 1568, died 1646.
- They had six known children, John Dackombe continues down our line, christened in 1607 he married a Mary Hudson in 1641.
- They had one known son Robert born in 1642 and died in 1695 he was married twice, his first marriage was to Jane in 1662 and his second to a Mary Wyke in 1680.
- From Robert's marriage to his second wife, Mary Wyke, he had a son John, who was christened on 28th February 1688, and died in Wrexham in 1734, he married a Mary Davis in 1710.
- The marriage of John and Mary, produced four known children, the youngest of these was an Aquilla Dackombe born (circa) 1720 and buried in St Botolph without Aldgate in 1783.
- Aquila and Jane had seven known children the third of these was another Aquila Dackombe, christened 21st December 1746 and born at High Street, Aldgate, he married Arabella.
- Aquila and Arabella had eight known children, the fifth of these was Daniel, baptised 6th January 1778 and died 1840, he married in 1798 a Ann Harding.
- Daniel and Ann's first child was another Daniel born on the 19th December 1800, christened 11th January 1801, and he died on 3rd January 1844. He married a Mary Ann Rook in 1822.
- Daniel and Mary's first child went back to the name Aquilla who was born on the 13th March 1822, baptised on the 13th May of the same year and died in 1867. He married twice, his first marriage being to Caroline Stratford, who died in 1860, he married again in 1862 to Caroline sister Eliza Catherine.
- From Aquilla's first marriage there six known children, the second of these was a Caroline, born on the 23rd February 1845, baptised on the 5th September, she married a James Poulton pm the 25th August 1866 in Camberwell.
- James and Caroline had as their first son an Aquilla James POULTON, who as he grew up did not use the U in his name and became POLTON. He was also known as James Aquilla, have swopped his first names around. He was born on the 11th April 1863 at 6 Orchard Place, Walworth, London and died around 1940, he married a Maud Mary Glover in 1892.
- Aquilla (James) and Maud had nine children, the fourth of these was Albert Augustus Polton, born on 18th March 1897 in Raymouth Road, Rotherhithe. He married a Maude Elizabeth THOROGOOD on the 13th June 1929 in Merton, Surrey.
- Albert and Maude had three children, the second of these was Jacqueline Irene POLTON who is my wife, she was born on the 16th March 1939.
- Jacqueline POLTON married me, John Charles TERRY at St Dunstan, Cheam on the 14th January 1961.
- From our marriage we have four children.
I have a lot of other Dackombe information, some of these can be found in the following pages.
Go to Dackombe Contents Page
Go to next Dackombe Page
Go to previous Dackombe Page
Return to Home Page
If you have comments, alterations, corrections, amendments etc. please follow the details to be found on the Home Page to contact me.